Re: TT: First-Time Foresters

My first community forestry (or at least gardening) experience was at West
Side Community Garden in 1976.  I was 6.  The garden was across the street
from my school on 89th Street between Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues on
Manhattan's upper west side.

Dee Parisi used to take kids to the garden and let us dig and plant to our
hearts content.

The garden got moved about 100 yards in 1986 or so and was made permanent
by the developer (who only tore down 1/2 of the garden) and Trust for
Public Land who gave money.

It is now kept open 8am to sundown, has a 10 year waiting list for a
private plot and kids from PS 166 still garden in it with Dee.  Its
largest neighbor was torn down last year.

For a little reference, The Liz Christy Community Garden (and by extension
the Green Guerillas) will be 25 this spring.  I'll be inviting everyone to
the party.

Lisa