Re: GBlist: Re: Natural sealants

John Bunzick (bunzick@tiac.net)
Thu, 27 Feb 1997 19:18:47 -0500

Mike O'Brien wrote:

> That stuff still crops up in the hands of old-timey electricians and
> plumbers around here--it's called "oakum" and it's a handy joint sealer and
> pipe isolator. I don't know how well it would work for a chemically
> sensitive person, though.
>
> Mike

I believe that oakum is asphalt impregnated hemp or possibly jute. It
may work as a backer rod, but it may not be compatible with the sealant
you're using. Of course, if you were using pitch it would probably be
okay.

I think that the best solutions I've read here to this problem are the
use of gaskets. EPDM and neoprene are thermoset materials, cured during
manufacture under high heat to create cross-linked polymers. While I'm
not saying they don't off-gas (because I don't know), its clear that
liquid sealants are going to give off more "stuff" as they cure. Latex
sealants are water-borne, though, so the percentage of aromatic solvents
should be much less.

John Bunzick, CCS, CCCA
HKT Architects (new job)
bunzick@tiac.net