Re: GBlist: Ventilation per John Bower

Pat Ballentine (Ballentine@voyager.net)
Tue, 18 Mar 1997 17:21:17 +0000

John Bower wrote:

> For the life of me, I can't see the advantage of loose construction,
> except for the fact that you (supposedly) don't need a ventilating fan.
> You've gotta have an air exchange, so you can either rely on Mother
> Nature or you can mechanically ventilate. When relying on Mother Nature
> to ventilate a loose house, the average rate may be just fine (something
> that will be hard to predict while the house is being built), but at any
> one time it's either feast or famine. Suppose you are having a group of
> people over and the wind isn't blowing (or there is no stack effect).
> What do you do, hand out fans? I think it's easier to flip a switch.
>
> When you talk about a house breathing, think about an airplane flying.
> The airplane flys differently than a bird, but both accomplish the same
> thing. I think a house can PERSPIRE naturally (i.e. build a house
> without a diffusion retarder) as long materials are selected carefully,
> but then, natural perspiration probably isn't going to handle the amount
> of moisture generated inside most houses. For the benefit of people, you
> must provide an air exchange, so you need an air-pressure difference to
> push air through holes (either random holes or deliberate holes). I just
> think a fan does a better and more reliable job than Mother Nature.

I'm agreeing with John and adding my thoughts along those lines about
"breathing Walls" Have I missed something here? I am refering to the
rammed straw/clay walls (Robert Laporte) If air flows through the
walls, doesn't that amount to a filter you could never clean? Isn't the
straw a food source for microrganisms?

I remember as an elementary teacher how I grew "critters" for my
students to observe. I sterilized a glass jar and the water in it, then
added a handful of straw. In one day there were microscopic and visible
plants and animals. I have this picture that the breathing walls would
"culture" some questionable life forms too.

I had the same reservations about the "Double air-envelope walls" of a
few years ago. Those spaces where air would circulate around the house
could get dusty besides harboring any number of pests.

Likewise the "hypocaust" systems of passive heat storage in hollow
cement block floors. Seems like a mouse bunker to me.

Any filter that can't be cleaned would simply become a dirt sink after a
while. Even some of the rotary wheel type HRVs cannot be cleaned
despite what their manufacturers say.

Pat Ballentine

--
MZ

__________________________________________________________________ This greenbuilding dialogue is sponsored by Oikos (www.oikos.com) and Environmental Building News (www.ebuild.com). For instructions send e-mail to greenbuilding-request@crest.org. __________________________________________________________________