Re: GBlist: aerogel

My only reference for aerogels was from an LBL document
http://www.lbl.gov/Science-Articles/Archive/aerogel-insulation.html
about Dr Kahn's work. Areogels are about 96%air and about 4% silica with
about the same insulating properties as foam - but in vacuum that jumps
to R20 and aerogels have the potential to be clear (hence the use in
windows) There is a reference to a commercial application for
refrigerator insulation and since the article is from the early 90's I
had hoped some progress had been made on the commercial end.
I have a strong interest in developments for foam insulating materials
as I think they are the ideal building insulation materials and it does
not seem unreasonable to think that they could be produced from
100%renewable materials from a low energy non polluting manuf. process.
If anyone has any information on other potential foam tech. I would like
to hear about it.
John Salmen
TERRAIN E.D.S.
terrain@seaside.net