GBlist: Weatherization-Insulation as if People Mattered

<snip>

I'm looking for an insulation system to retrofit a 1926 house.  The
house currently has no insulation in most walls in north east Ohio, USA

<snip>

Dear Sherman,

Let me introduce you to Weatherization. This movement was founded on
secret government research for low income housing. And if you can get
someone to give you service, it is the only way to go. It is a wonderful
union of comfort, durability, cost effectiveness, and environmental
sensitivity.

Read "Fixing a Cold, Drafty House" in Fine Homebuilding #105 (Nov96)for
a primer. You will find that all of the factors that dominate building
performance are located in the basement and attic. Wall insulation is at
the bottom of the list for upgrading a thermal envelope.

Sadly, I am not tuned into Ohio geography, but there is a fellow called
Jim Tenhundfeld in Cincinnati that may be able to refer you to someone
who will help. He is with the Hamilton County Community Action Agency
513-569-4358. We recently attended a conference on these matters and he
indicated that he could help someone like yourself.

You can look up articles on this topic at the Home Energy archives and
find an ongoing discussion at Pathfinders' This Old House BB.

One last comment on the foamed plastic insulations-RUN.

Regards, Fred