Re: GBlist: Re: Greywater

There is a wealth of material out there on greywater reuse. A good place to
start is the Jade Mountain web site, and I think they have a $1 or $2
information packet on greywater. Another good source are the earthship
websites and the earthship volumes (I forget which one covers greywater).
SSA (the Earthship people) publish a $12 Greywater Chronical which contains
their latest information.

Code approval is a problem in most places. In the absence of code approval
the usual method is to include the code-required systems and also the
greywater systems, with a valve that you can turn to use one or the other.

In counties where you can get a greywater system approved (including right
here in Boulder county, where I am planning on building one into my house),
the idea is to have the indoor planters near the fixtures to cut down on
plumbing. Done well you can end up with a much simpler plumbing set up than
in a conventional house, plus you get to save the cost of a septic system
and you get lots of great plants. (Here in Boulder I'll still need a leech
field to handle overflow from the greywater system.)

Blackwater must not be mixed with greywater of course but a compost toliet
solves that problem very easily. Actually I don't know why more people
don't use compost toliets, they are a LOT cheaper than a septic system and
if approved by the National Sanitation Foundation they are supposed to be
quite easy to get past the code people. SunMar makes a wide variety,
including water flush toliets that go to a composting chamber in the
basement. The plumbing is quite simple and seperate from all the other
plumbing.

Looking at the whole thing from a fresh perspective (i.e. I probably don't
know what I'm talking about) the use of composting toliets and greywater
reuse seems cheaper and more elegant than conventional septic systems.