Re: GBlist: Info search (LCA)

...Funny you should ask this I was just looking at a design tool called
Eco Indicator 95 by Product Ecology Consultants (these are the makers of
SimaPro which is a LCA software tool)and one of the examples included in
their designers manual is paper bag versus plastic bag in a european
context ...

I have been wanting to address some questions to this group about LCA's.
The questions were going to be about methadologies and ethics but I was
never quite sure what my concerns really consisted of.

I am always looking for tools to add to my knowledge of what I am about.
The key words for me here are tools and knowledge not quantitative
information presented as solutions.

The information of a life cycle analysis is for me a piece of a puzzle
that is constantly changing as new information comes in and as our
priorities change, but in the hands of industry and legislators (in that
order) it becomes a tool for expediency. A means of swaying public
opinion and of marketing one product over another. Yet another means of
exporting our economy (to borrow the Brunner reference.)

We will never be in a position of being able to quantify the net effects
of what we do. The information can be used to inform ourselves as to
current practice but we need more than that to sustain ourselves.

Greenbuilding like it or not is part of a naturalist heritage, which is
as far as our cultural heritage goes - the stuff that dreams are made of
- and a technicians nightmare.

As to the plastic/paper bag - go search.

John