Re: GBlist: Re: Housing Costs

Buzz wrote:

> * Concrete.  My personal idle thought:  figure out a complete wall system

> that integrates structure, insulation, and aesthetic finish with a cost
> effective method.

We are having pretty good success with our double wythe slipformed stone
wall.  Two slipformed stone walls encase a scrap stress skin panel.  We
are
now getting each wall (wyth)lean enough to have to depend on the other for
strength.  The technique is quite fast.  check us out at
http://www.slic.com/~barkeatr/.  Slipformed stone seems to be left out of
teh talk a lot, the only downside is the embodied energy of the concrete.
We feel this is justified in the fact that the stones take up a lot of the
wall, and we are using a frost protected foundation ie, saving 4 feet of
conc frostwall. Also this wall will outlast many other alternatives.  Key
in this system is that a chunk of wall can (and did!)sit out during the
winter allowing all sorts of financial (and other freedoms).  I  think
this
would be a great way to get strawbales off the ground and dry.  Anyone
stop
in and take a look!
TIm McCarthy
barkeater design build co.