Re: GBlist: Re: pond to wetlands too many cattails, catch-alls, catcalls, cattle?

I've been following this thread with interest. Its that wonderful great
grey area of what we do, how it impacts the land, and what we are
responsible for.

I was wondering when ecosystem protection would be mentioned but I was
surprised and not too enthused at the vehemence to the legislated
aspects. Do you guys all carry guns down there too or what? I shouldn't
be critical for Canada is busy screwing up most of its water resources
but I am in favour of legislated control of watersheds. As my
understanding of resource conservation issues grows I feel that there is
a need for stricter water purity legislation that governs all aspects of
water contamination and conservation.

In another thread there has been discussion about the processes by which
a consuming public and manufacturers become more proactive with
alternative technologies. One of or perhaps the only significant vehicle
for change has been legislation, whether in the form of building codes,
workplace safety regulations, or zoning controls.

Constructed wetlands, ponds, streams, etc. do not imply ownership of the
prime ingredient (water) rather they carry a responsibility for
stewardship. As the discussion on vegetation control in ponds has
illustrated the issues involved in ecosystem maintenance get pretty
complicated and intrusive.

John