GBlist: Roofing

>I am looking for a source for a roofing shingle, that is made out of some
>kind of ruber/vinyl/recycled product.  I have heard that it is manufactured
>in Canada, that it lasts forever and has the appearance of slate.  Thanks to
>all for the information

Crowe Industries, Hamilton, Ontario, (905) 529 - 6818, makes a product
called "Authentic Roof" which is a non-authentic slate-like shingle.  It is
made from waste polymers and rubber, primarily from tires and debris from
diaper manufacturing.

We've used it successfully.  It  comes with a 50 year warranty and a list
price of $350. per square.  Not cheap, but it installs easily.  Nice
product.  It looks uncannily like slate, except that at present there is
only one pattern, so if you look at a single tile you're amazed at the
resemblance, but if you look at a whole roof the lack of variegation makes
it look like something else.  They say that soon they'll have eight moulds
instead of one - this will be a big improvement.  They're also working to
increase flame retardancy.

Good luck -

John