FW: Need your help, please?

 ----------
From: Rebekah Hutzler Malatt
To: thiexn
Subject: Need your help, please?
Date: Monday, June 10, 1996 1:19PM

My brother-in-law runs a small beef farm in Berkeley County, WV. In
the past few weeks, he has noticed an abundance of a large "reed like"
noxious weed that is growing rapidly along the creek bank and now out
in the pasture and corn fields. The weeds grows in large clumps and
are almost impossible to pull from the ground even in swampy water. It
now has a small white bloom surrounding the head of the plant and is
rapidly going to seed. The rapid growth in just the last few weeks and
the tenaciousness of the plant roots even the the swamp areas has my
brother -in-law quite concerned. I have been unable to locate a name
for the plant although it does look like a phragmites australis
(common Reed) it does not appear to have leaves. It is tall (4 to 5
feet in height) with a hollow reed, (such as a hydrella), no leaves
and  the abundance of small white flowers and seeds. Can you help or
direct someone from an extension office out to my brother-in-law's
farm. In the past, we have had little success in obtaining help from
the county extension office. He would like to spray the weeds but due
to direct proximity to the creek, he is concerned over contaminating
the water. My brother-in-law's name is David Malatt at 304-754-7615 or
304-754-3725 at Rt. 1, Box 300, Hedgesville, WV 25427 in Berkeley
County, WV.
 --
Rebekah Hutzler Malatt