Re: SMALLFARM-MG> Organic Produce

----------
> To: Rich Molini <richmo@indy.net>
> To: sal <sals@rain.org>
> Cc: Erorganic@aol.com; smallfarm-mg@maat.reeusda.gov; sanet-mg
<sanet-mg@ces.ncsu.edu>
> Subject: Re: SMALLFARM-MG> Organic Produce
> >
> >  Anyone that can not afford $250 per year to create a level playing
floor
> > >between thousands of farms across the nation selling ag products in
direct
> > >competition with each other at a premimum price needs to reorganize,
either
> > >becoming more efficient or find new markets or recognize that the
price is
> > >part of the cost of doing business.  =====

>   "The primary  reason  we have certification is because there is no
connection and
> trust between the farmer and the people that consume the  food they
> produce . We all know the way to make that connection is to grow and
> sell local. . "

=========
We raise 41 bison on 600 acres and slowly restablishing native grasses to
our land
for forage and wildlife habit.

>  I won't need certification to sell my bison  .  It is the restiction on
the advertising
 not the cost I am concern about.
> I will not need to get my pasture, grain and hay certified.

> My marketing push is to connect to the people directly and share
with them our growing, feeding, and processing practices.
Sharing our goals  thrrough economic balance , and environmental soundness

I understand that the new organic minimum standard will not allow a
producer to
promote their product as better than another . So in the end the goverment
will
dictate what can be said about organics at the lowest level of organic
production.

We will not become certified organic however will adopt the practices of
organic
producers and market ourselves as enviromental friendly. We attempt to
educate
our customers on our practices of sustainability, ethical treatment of
animals,
and enviromental sensitive practices.

Wish the best to all those would struggle to save our planet.....
DBS