comments to benbrook

Dear Charles,
    Thank you for your long thoughtful reply.  You've cleared up many
questions I had.  I do think the devil is in the details (as you
basically argue).  However, how certification and labeling is done and
who it is controlled by are very related to the larger issue of the
scale of agriculture and the type of food system we move toward.  Sal's
anger is stimulated by large political forces that seem to consistently
make the playing field less even in favor of larger scale corporate
agriculture (if this were not true we would not see most people favoring
labeling of GE products while the trend is to actually make it illegal
to label).  Someone resisting the trend toward coporate, large-scale
agriculture may be most effective by accepting the reality of the
current situation and then making the most strategic moves (which may
involve a more proactive, cooperative approach), but to not acknowledge
the relationship of certification to the larger issues of the scale and
nature of agriculture would seem naive.
Hope I did not misunderstand your comment about not loading onto the
discussion of certification "all the ills and controversies on the
agricultural scene today."  I realize I may have read too much into
that.  Thanks again for your very useful discussion of certification.
Deb Paulson