Re: organic certification

Good! people are starting to talk. The weels are getting greased.  The time
is getting close.  Sal is crud and does not know how to talk to people and
sweet talk them . he sees maybe 10 people a year and is a kind of a stay on
the farm guy.  . He is not a talker but a small grower  and probably not
one of the best growers  but he loves the organic movement . Sal never said
certification is useless and has been certified for years .  Sal for some
reason is feeling really oppressed and depressed and he is just trying to
understand why.  Sal may not be the only organic grower that feels this way.

enough of this starting every sentience with Sal you got me doing it.

 I was farming organic and my customers said why don't you get certified .
I went to my first CCOF meeting and everyone there were farmers like my
self.  We talk about organic growing and voted on stuff etc. I was
inspected.  I went through the same as most all organic growers . you know
I could not understand why I could not be organic right off but was told it
would take a few years even though I was organic now they need time this
was  called a transition period.  Ok ok so I was inspected a few more times
.  Back then  farmers would inspect other farmers and even though others
thought they were not for real they were real honest folks.  I had gained a
lot of respect of these folks and as time passed we got the word that the
inspections would be going up . And did they .    Later CCOF was doing such
a good job caring for us , we were getting some real respect in the market
place.  Soon CCOF wanted more teeth in their certification and I could
never understand why.  it seemed to me like every year I would be inspected
and every year the inspector would go over my books and it seem to me they
were doing a great job.  But no they wanted teeth.  So they went to the
State.  Now the state this may sound crude but the state did not love the
idea of giving time to a fringe small group like organic growers .  They
are busy folks.  So to me it seemed like CCOF sweeten the pie by saying the
organic farmers will pay for all of it.  Even now most state folks don't
want to bother with organic growers.  Now the state to me seem like their
only interest they have in organic growers is to catch them at something.
So they started sending me all kind of intimidating stuff  letting me know
they were out to get me and that was all they were conceded with.  A lot of
my old f