TH: Hands across the water ...

 This isn't going to be as well thought-out as I would have liked,
 but I just read some off-list correspondence from Rob in the UK
 which reminded me of this old question.

 When the Europeans first colonized the Americas (according to
 history), some 500 years ago or so, they quickly discovered (ahem)
 that they and the Native American Peoples / the Indians were all
 varieties of the same species, that they were in fact closely
 related on evolutionary time.  But what about the other fauna &
 flora?  Our American Beech tree closely resembles its beautiful
 European cousin, and the widely-planted 'London Plane Tree' is
 a cross between UK and US Sycamores.  The birds migrate North &
 South, but the greater aquatic mammals have probably migrated the
 oceans for millenia.  Are there same-species trees native to both
 continents, and how come -- do they have more sophisticated modes
 of transport, or maybe do they 'evolve' more slowly (like sharks?)

 Apologies for bringing up such complicated issues in such a sloppy
 posting.  Your thoughts will be much appreciated ...

 (un)subscribe Requests:
 Richard@Flora.Com

 Richard Tryzno Ellsberry | [http://flora.com] | Baltimore / USDA Zone 7