TH: Perrenials & Annuals around Trees ...

 Post-To: Tree-House@Majordomo.Flora.Com (Community Forestry) ----------
 -------
 Hi Tree-House Folks - -------------------------------------------------

 We've touched on this topic before.  There are a number of questions
 that one would have when planting groundcovers, flowers etc. around
 the bases of trees.  Our 'natural' orientation is to favor the
 perrenials over the annuals, just as we would prefer native trees
 over imports or hybrids, but is this best in all cases ? Should we
 shy away from climbing ivies, for instance, and then there are many
 grasses available.  Here in Baltimore, store-bought Petunias can
 put on a great show throughout the summer.  But at the first frost
 they die away, and maybe this is better for the trees -- in a pot,
 on the street or on the front lawn.  Obviously I am hitting on a
 number of issues here, and any experienced thoughts you might have
 in this area would be helpful for all of us.  So in an effort to
 to formulate these intracacies into one simple question:

 We want to plant small 'ornamentals' around our trees, so what are
 the best for those trees ? What are the benefits and hazards of
 grasses, bulbs like Tulip and Daffodil (Narcissus is the same thing
 -- even if you've heard otherwise :), groundcovers et al ? What
 have you learned from your own past experimentations ?

 Thanx in Advanx (C),
 Richard@Flora.Com
 Richard Tryzno Ellsberry  |   Flora's Garden   |  Baltimore USDA Zone 7

 -- Hello to Salt Lick City ...