TT: Winter lights

Hi Treetowners,
These two messages came across the Pednet list the other day, and I thought
it sounded like our kind of fun.  I especially like the idea of a lighted
arbor or arch to hide the utility cords!!
Cheers,
Mary
************************

This message sent to pednet by TMusser <TMusser@aol.com>.

Snow reminds me of an unrelated question regarding sidewalk liability....

The residents of our block are interested in a collaborative neighborhood
effort to put little white lights in all of the parkway trees along our street
this holiday season.  However, several houses are concerned with the liability
of stringing cords across the sidewalk to get power supply to the parkway
(grass buffer strip area).

Does anyone know of a threshold type of product that would cover the cords
across the walk and stand up to winter weather?  Or what the liability of such
treatment would be?   Other solutions?

(There are 15 houses on our block each with 1 or 2 trees, so this would not be
an isolated cord crossing.  Most of the pedestrians are people that live
within the immediate neighborhood, but not necessarily on our street.)

Any thoughts?

This message sent to pednet by CHUCK FISHER <CFISHER@MAIL.OPEN.ORG>.

Terri,

The first thing that came to mind was perhaps stringing them overhead
from the house or another tree in the yard.  But with alot of cords that
could look a bit tacky.  What about one property owner (or a couple)
providing the power to minimize wiring across the sidewalk.  Then
everyone kick in a few bucks to cover the cost. You could do some sort
of lighted arbor entryway at either end of the displays.  The arbor would
span the sidewalk thereby providing power and a transition for display.

Chuck Fisher
Salem, Oregon