Re: TT: UK Community Forests

At 00:15 06/11/97 -0500, RTEllsberry wrote:
> On Wed, 5 Nov 1997, Mary Bedard reported:
>> ... I've often thought that the Treetown folks should be
>> talking to the Pednet folks, and vice versa -- we're all interested in
>> making communities/neighborhoods/urban areas more liveable.

> Thank you again Mary & Geraint, and thanks also to our other listees who
> are introducing yourselves.  Keep those cards and letters coming!  Mary -
> at the risk of committing improper 'Netiquette,' I'd like you to tell
> us a little more about the Pednet folks -- do they have a website, and
> how does one get in touch with them?

The Pednet website is at
http://www.flora.org/pednet/

List archives and subscription info can be found there.

Pednet covers (mostly urban) walking and pedestrian activism: encouraging
walking over other forms of transport, road safety, traffic calming, streets
for people, safe routes to schools, road crossings, the pains and pleasures
of walking, walking surfaces, the occasional bit of poetry and prose on the
joys of walking and other foot-related topics :-)

Now an intro from me: I'm Chairman of the Jersey Pedestrians Association,
Vice-Chairman of the North East Residents Association of St. Helier, Jersey,
an elected member of the municipality of St. Helier (Roads Committee) - and
too many other jobs beside ;-)

To give a small flavour, here's an article that appeared in the Jersey
Evening Post last week:

<quote>
Move to make Clarendon Road safer and quieter

 TOWN residents are being invited to comment on proposals for urban renewal
at Clarendon Road and Palmyra Road. The proposals are on display this
weekend. The plans have been produced by the Planning and Environment
Committee's urban renewal sub-committee in conjunction with the North East
Residents Association and the Parish of St Helier.

 Residents

 They include tree planting, car parking, traffic calming measures and new
paving schemes. Geraint Jennings, residents association vice-chairman, said:
'We are inviting residents and all others interested to drop in and view the
plans, make comments, whether positive or negative, and make suggestions for
im. provement.' Mr Jennings said that this was one more in the series of
residents. initiatives and consultation exercises, asking residents what
they really wanted. In the past it had led to improvements such as the
pocket park and community mural at the Robin Hood corner, and the pedestrian
and cyclist gateway into Springfield at the top end of Oxford Road. He said
that Clarendon Road was an important pedestrian route for families and
children walking to and from Mont Cantel, so the benefits of the improved
pedestrian provision proposed in the scheme would be of wider interest.

 Elegance

 'The scheme is in line with the residents' desire for more trees and a
restoration of elegance to these attractive 19th century residential areas.
Possible tree planting areas have been identified for Clarendon Road and
residents are being invited to consider adopting a tree,' he said.
<unquote>

Past comments and discussion  from this list have greatly helped this
not-so-humble lurker;-)

     Artist, Teacher, Green, and general all-round good egg
                               geraint@itl.net
      *************  http://user.itl.net/~geraint/  *************