Re: TT: shade tree diversity

I performed a street tree inventory here in southern Ontario a few years
ago, and found the same lack of diversity: about 65% Norway Maple, then
ash, lindens and honey locusts. Of approximately 25 or so species, the
first ten made up a little more than 80% of the entire population of
street trees, and many of these were non-native to the region. That was
out of a total of a little more than 18,500 street trees.
Another serious problem I considered was the fact that most of the street
trees were in newer subdivisions, as the town had been experiencing a
period of growth over the last 15 years, and were very cloes in age. Hate
to think of the cost of replacement when all of them reach maturity for
urban trees and then die off within such a close time.

Paul H.