Re: TT: Significance of individual trees

For those of you on the FWG-L, this message is in response to a request on
TreeTown listserv for any info on famous individual trees worldwide...
Bob

Offhand, I can think of 4 very significant trees:

1.  A huge golden Douglas fir in Haida Gwaii (the Queen Charlotte
Islands, BC).  Don't know if it had a name, but it glowed in the sunlight,
was hundreds of years old, and played an integral cultural role for the
local Haida.  Last year a disgruntled unemployed logger chopped it down.
UBC gathered samples, and I believe is now propagating hundreds of little
golden Douglas firs.

2.  There's a tree inside the Golden Temple, the holiest place of the Sikh
religion, in Punjab India.  The story goes that, thousands of years ago,
a beautiful but humble princess was punished by her father and forced to
marry a cripple....  I forget the rest of the story, I apologize, but I
believe the man turned into a hawk and the woman turned into a tree, which
the Golden Temple is now built around.

3.  A 10 year old white pine in Temagami--seven years ago I tied a knot in
one of its branches, as the Teme-Augama Anishnabai used to do to
commemorate a person.  I did it to commemorate my relationship with that
place.  I pass by it every year and look forward to seeing it in 50 years.

4.  Buddha gained enlightenment after years of meditation under a banyan
tree in northern India.  Don't know if that tree is still around, but that
has made banyan trees very significant in all Buddhist countries.

I find it interesting that these trees all have high spiritual/religious
significance.  I believe all the significant individual trees in America
mentioned by Dave were significant solely because of their great size...

Bob Olajos
rolajos@uoguelph.ca
www.uoguelph.ca/~rolajos

Follow-Ups: References: