Re: TT: osage orange

ID an osage orange?  Well...  I'd check my tree ID guide!  The bark is
kinda orange with large fissures, and it has _big_ thorns.  I climbed one
once in the dark--I'll never do that again!  The fruit is the give away:
it the size of a large orange, and green, and very hard.  As a kid, we
collected them and rolled them down a certain hill into on coming cars!
(I was a bad child)  And they made a nice racket when the hit fenders...

Does this help?  I didn't think so...

-=G=-

On Wed, 31 Dec 1997, RTEllsberry wrote:

>  Gary - If you're still sitting at your keyboard, could you tell us
>  how one identifies an Osage Orange tree -- for the benefit of those
>  who may not be familiar with this interesting species.  Its fruit,
>  about the size of a large orange, has folds or fissures very like
>  a brain.

>  Also - if anyone has had difficulty trying to get off of the TreeTown
>  list, you can always send a note to me to take care of that for you.
>  And remember to invite your colleagues and friends to join our forum.
>
>  Richard@Flora.Com
>  TreeTown ListOp
>  Baltimore USDA Zone 7

Follow-Ups: References: