Re: TT: locusts

Hi all,

The problem I see is _when_ cultivated varieties are the _only_ thing
used.  If we remove the thorns from honeylocust and call that variety
ThornyNOT (just for fun) and then mass produce (clone) ThornyNOT and
sell to all the local nurseries and pretty soon all the planted
honeylocusts in the city are the same tree, ThornyNOT, then we have a
problem.  Let's say this cultivar has a weakness too, oh lets say, dutch
locust disease. We don't know it until it strikes, and once it strikes
its a bit late.

It is a tough issue.  For Honeylocust we have a tree with great
adaptability but only if the thorns are removed.  We need cultivated
varieties of honeylocust in order for it to be successfully used in
urban environments.  The same can be said for seedless (male) varieties
of a lot of other trees, like White Ash.

Around here 'Autumn Purple' White Ash is almost the only variety of
white ash sold.  If left to the local nurseries pretty soon the entire
city would have only one type of White Ash tree growing.  How can we
make sure this doesn't happen?  Maybe the key to all of this is the
recognition that diversity is beauty, not a perfect branching structure
or a great fall color.

Winter is the season for ranting and planning, hmmm :-)

Mark Stephens