TT: California update

Hi Treetowners,

After a few weeks of solid drizzle or downpour, I couldn't let today go by
without an update of local color.  Today was a glorious California day,
warm enough for bicycling in just a sweater, and sun shining on evergreen
growies.  Here in Davis there are a lot of Washington Thorn (Crataegus
phaenopyrum), used as street and lawn trees, and they are lovely right now.
No foliage, but deep crimson berries hanging like clusters of tiny
Christmas tree ornaments.
The seed pods of the crape myrtle are still clinging, adding more interest
to bare branches, and the California Holly or Toyon, (Heteromeles
arbutifolia) is especially colorful right now.  It too has red berries, but
is an evergreen shrub.  These red-berried things seem to be the favorite in
this area, although there are also a lot of privet (not one of my personal
favorites, even if they have purple-blue berries.)
I have some narcissus greening up in a pot on the patio -- can spring be
too far away?
For snow-country folks, is there anything going on outdoors besides more snow?

Enjoy the weekend,
Mary
Putah Creek Bioregion
USDA Zone 9(?)