TT: Re: California dreaming

Bah, humbug on beautiful California days!  Here in Kentucky it has been
cloudy and gloomy for several weeks, with no payoff of snow.

Out in the woods, where I have spent considerable time over the last couple
of weeks, there are patches of color here and there.  The hawthorn fruits
are gone, but there are still berries on the hollies, hips on the pasture
roses (from an Old High German word hiafo, for rose fruits; apparently
unrelated to the word for human hip), and a few other red fruits.  In town,
there are still plenty of crab apples.  The brightest things around right
now are stems: red stems of red-osier and multiflora rose, yellow willow
stems, the bright green of boxelder and sassafras.  Red and silver maples
have huge red flower buds, and the buds of slippery elm are swollen.  I
expect them to flower early in this mild winter (they often flower in
February).

The witch-hazels are finished flowering, and their winter moth pollinators
seem to be gone; I did see one late witch-hazel in flower a few weeks ago. I
wonder why witch-hazel is not used more as an ornamental; it is a lovely
little tree, and the winter flowers are surprising.

One of the things I missed the most in my years in the tropics was the
seasons.  So I'm quite happy to be out on these cold gloomy days, looking at
the subtleties of trees in winter.

Tom Kimmerer
Forest Biologist
University of Kentucky