Re: SMALLFARM-MG> Organic Produce

On September 18 an environmental group held a press conference and issued a
report entitled Rising Toxic  Tide.  the report claimed that 1. California
uses 25 percent of all U.S. pesticides 2. pesticide use in California is
increasing and 3. that the application of cancer causing pesticides rose
129 percent form 1991 to 1995.  And what does the state of Ca. do ?  They
tax and burden  organic producers . Put a tax on all that sell organic is
not my idea of reducing pesticides.  Now the USDA wants to lay an
additional tax on the organic farmers .  Any one selling over $5000 in
crops will have to pay large sums of money to sell organic and jump through
even more hoops.  This low number$5000  in this day and age is nuts.  Many
small organic growers will be burdened with such a tax and may lose their
life of living and be forced out.

> [...]
>> >be so subsidized at the taxpayers expense and frequent abuse?
>>
>> If the tax payers demand tests they should pay for them .  If the USDA
>> demand test they should pay for them.  Me I don't need no stinking test to
>> tell how I farm.  I know I am organic by any definition I have read so far.
>>  Let those that doubt pay for the test.  As far as frequent abuse I don't
>> see it. The State of Ca. has taken Hundreds of thousands of dollars from
>> organic growers and have found little abuse.  the only abuse I know of is
>> the abuse we organic growers are receiving.
>> Fraud is fraud .  No one is subsidizing organic growers at least no one has
>> giving me one darn cent I did not earn. but they should they would save
>> money not having to take the herbicides out of the drinking water but alas
>> it is the commercial farmer that gets most all the supsidzing,research
>> grants etc. and no one is asking for subsidizing I am only asking the Gov.
>> not to lay an extra tax on my for growing and selling orgnaic. Why is it
>> far to lay an extra tax me because I grow and sell organic .
>>
>> >a marketing tool, a government means of intervention, dicrimination
>> >against those who do not so believe? If one chooses to produce
>> >organically, fine and laudable....but at the costs tangible and
>> >intangible, direct and indirect but not as another boondoggle or pork
>> >barrel and certainly not as a marketing ploy to rip off the very poor
>> >that most organic producers are so quick to bewail!
>>
>> I do discriminant I will  say I always pick the organic food over the
>> commercial . thank God I am free to chose. I am not ripping anyone off as a
>> organic grower and don't want to get ripped off by having the to be  tax
>> more than any other farmer.  We are not talking about subsidizing we are
>> talking about not taxing the poor farmer that want to farm and sell
>> organic.  you want to talk about subsidizing the farmer we can start a new
>> topic I would love to get into that with you. We can start with the
>> drinking water that the city can not clean up and that the people have to
>> drink and bath in.  hummm then their is the cost of spraying insecticide on
>> miles and miles of land,homes,people,etc to protect the farmer from an
>> insect.  and   on and on and on and on.  .  Lets get it on.  the argument
>> is that organic growers and sellers should not get taxed extra for selling
>> organic because they have not done anything wrong to justify having to pay
>> more than any  other farmer .   Now I ask you ,do you think that a farm
>> that only has $35000 in sells is a small farm or not?    What does the
>> average farm in the US sell in produce and is $35000 in sells small or not?
>>  Anyone got any numbers.? I don't have any numbers but I am willing to bet
>> that  that farm would be clasified as  a real small farm in the US and that
>> farmer is not having an easy time of it organic or not.  And that farmer
>> does not need an extra tax put on him because of other folks perinoia.

Sometime

they

wrote:

> [...]
growers in

>I am sure that you have a heart of gold, but are your practices and
>outlooks true of all.....? While being supportive of responsible organic
>practices based upon the desires of an individual of their own
>preferences are one thing..and commendable to a limit, but not
>universally quite so pure as you would have us believe or always
>inherently superiour. Personally, I would match the safety of
>agrisynergistic methodologies and natural pest/disease management with
>organic results with confidence. But, if I could get considerably more
>for organic apples would I not charge accordingly since I raise them
>chemical free anyway?

Natural pest /disease management is part of being organic also.

>Atlanta International Communications,Inc./Sales Reps. & Consulting Svcs.
>See our web site! Updated 07-14-97 http://www.mindspring.com/~atlintlcom
>Indust., Commercial, Muni., and Agri. Waste Processing Systems & Eqpt.
>7500 Spalding Lane, Atlanta, Georgia 30350
>phone 770-392-1313  fax 770 392-0078 email: atlintlcom@mindspring.com
>New equipment lines, systems, and project inquiries always considered.

Follow-Ups: References: