Re: Amish and free speech

YankeePerm@aol.com
Tue, 7 Jan 1997 11:04:08 -0500

In a message dated 1/6/97 5:26:25 PM, arenfrow@resdata.com (Ann Renfrow)
wrote:

>Hey, remember that our country was founded on free speech!! I found this
list
>to be quite humorous (shocking to some of you) and hey, Kert Davies prefaced
it
>by saying it contained nothing of intellectual value! Could we please
lighten
>up and not be quite so PC?
>
>Ready to receive flaming in response to this message,
>A. Renfrow
>arenfrow@resdata.com

Well, I agreed with you pretty well until you got into history. Presumably
we have dismissed all other countries participating in this list now so we
can have private conversations on the founding of the USA on free speech. In
that case, we are wrong. It was founded on blood and violence in armed
rebelion. Free speech was an after thought. Remember the right to free
speech is in the first AMMENDMENT to the counstitution. The constititution
was enacted, then Franklin, Jefferson, and some others, managed to snooker
through some freedoms in the first 10 ammendments, probably because the other
guys were worn out or had to go home to tend to their thriving businesses.
(Some historian will have to help me out here, but as an old time New
England Town Meeting participant, that is how it usually works when something
unpopular with those in power gets passed anyway by an elite group.
Remember, the people never voted to accept the constitution and had very
indirect influence on who got to write it.) Moreover, the freedoms granted
by ammendment were only to men who owned property. Everyone else essentially
WAS property, or else just sort of a wild thing, like a man on his own with
no land. Disgusting, eH?

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
permaculture training by email. Copyright, 1996, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O.
Box 2052, Ocala FL 34478 USA YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.