TT: tree wraps

 Date: Fri, 16 Jan 1998 08:56:57 -0800
 From: patricia joyner <patricia_joyner@dnr.state.ak.us>
 To: RTEllsberry@Flora.Com

I work for the Alaska Urban & Community Forestry Program in Anchorage and am a
fairly new subscriber to tree town. I've enjoyed the discussions, although
cottonwood is the only "Alaska" tree to be discussed so far.

I would like your thoughts and experiences with tree wrap. There seems to be a
lot of different opinions about its benefits and drawbacks.

It has long been promoted to prevent frost cracks and other damage to thin-
barked species. Others say that damage is caused by root problems, often
developing from poor planting techniques. Personally, I see more damage caused
by the wrap than by the lack of it. It is often left on too long and holds
moisture against the bark causing damage, or is attached with string or duct
tape, which girdles the tree. This seems especially prevalent in large
commercial plantings where no one ever comes back to take it off.

Do you think we should be recommending it and if so under what circumstances?
Any insights would be appreciated.

Thanks

Patricia Joyner