TT: Live Oak

 Dear TreeTown -

Quercus virginiana.  In a world of Baobabs and Banyans, Monkey Puzzles
and Joshua Trees, Redwoods, Frankincense and Myrrh, for myself as a
late-blooming tree enthusiast / Community Forester, I don't think that
any species to my own (evolving) knowledge inspires more joyful awe
than the Live Oak Tree, native to the SE US.  Commonly called such
because it is an evergreen.  As fate would (wood?) have it, Baltimore
lies just a few unfortunate latitudes above its hardy range.  I do
have evergreen Southern Magnolias right outside my window, however,
which don't quite make it up to New York City (sorry Lisa :) ...

Just being excited about taking my first vacation in memory down to
Charleston SC in a few days.  Been spending way too much time in front
of computers.  On the outer skirts of Charleston survives the gigantic
'Angel Oak,' I believe, which is several hundred years old and is easily
worth the trip -- much broader than tall and draped in Spanish Moss.

I think this Angel is the No. 2 champ.  It's a bit of a challenge for
us Marylanders, because our state White Oak, called the 'Wye Oak' down
in Oxford, is the world champion Quercus alba.  (Oxford is also home
to the world champion Willow Oak -- one  of our finest street trees).

There's not much to compare with a Live Oak though, you may have seen
them in the wonderful film 'Forrest Gump.'  Any differing opinions?

Richard@Flora.Com
On the road from Baltimore USDA Zone 7