Re: TT: Live Oak

On Wed, 21 Jan 1998, RT Ellsberry wrote:

>  Dear TreeTown -
>
> Quercus virginiana.  In a world of Baobabs and Banyans, Monkey Puzzles
> and Joshua Trees, Redwoods, Frankincense and Myrrh, for myself as a
> late-blooming tree enthusiast / Community Forester, I don't think that
> any species to my own (evolving) knowledge inspires more joyful awe
> than the Live Oak Tree, native to the SE US.  Commonly called such
> because it is an evergreen.  As fate would (wood?) have it, Baltimore
> lies just a few unfortunate latitudes above its hardy range.  I do
> have evergreen Southern Magnolias right outside my window, however,
> which don't quite make it up to New York City (sorry Lisa :) ...

Don't be too sure of that.  New York City has so much heat and protection
from any natural force that indeed some variety of Southern Magnolia is
growing in Brooklyn.  An entire organization based on community greening
and historic preservation started around this one magnolia.  The woman
who owned the house was so vividly reminded of growing up in the south and
having a garden that she started a gardening program for neighborhood
kids.  This program grew into the Magnolia Tree Earth Center.  It is
located (center and tree) in Bedford Stuyvesant in Brooklyn.

I do admit, however, that planting southern magnolias would not be my
preference in New York.  Too much of a chance that it would die.

Lisa
Zone - well it kind of depends where you are.
New York City

Follow-Ups: References: